Topton American Legion Community Ambulance Service was started in 1947 by the Topton American Legion Post #217 under Ray A. Master. The first unit a 1948 Buick was bought in May of 1948 for the cost of $7,400.00. The Legion originally housed and maintained the first ambulance as part of their local welfare program. During the first 18 months of service the squad served the community 217 times.
In 1953 the board decided to replace their original unit with a 1953 Cadillac at a cost of $10,000.00. In the late 1950’s Topton Ambulance was approached by the United Fund and a contract was signed that the United fund would assist with replacing units every 4 to 5 years. The United fund assisted in replacing the units in 1959, 1962, 1969
In 1974 the Legion decided to build a separate building to house the ambulance on the west end of their property. This project was completed in 1975 and dedicated on April 20, 1975. In 1981 a second story was added to part of the building to house a living area and crew bunk rooms. A business office was also added to the downstairs behind the bays. In 2001 the downstairs was renovated to add additional office and storage space. This building still houses all units and offices today.
Officers in 1947:
President: Clarence Yerger
Vice President: Paul Croll
Secretary: Kermit Schofer
Treasurer: Lee P. Trexler
Trustees: Paul Lantz
Information supplied by: Larry Werst, Cheryl Reppert, Roger Bollinger, Martha Bollinger, Topton Ambulance Service Archives